Friday, January 16, 2015

INSIDE THE BELLY OF THE BEAST


JUSTICE FOR TERRY COLLEY


   

My name is Terry Colley. I committed the offense of bank robbery during the early 1990's at the age of 23. I was sentenced to 60 years without parole. For me, it has been an unjust 60 year prison sentence all stemming from the word "Go."

It is a fact that my conviction is an unjust one. This is not a statement designed to escape the reality or responsibility for my crimes committed. I am the only remaining defendant out of 3 that still sits in prison. My two co-defendants served less than ten years and have been released for more than eleven years now. My current projected release date is in 2053.

After serving over 2 decades in prison, I am now age 44. I am currently housed at the Federal penitentiary in Atlanta, Georgia, which has lowered its custody security level status to "medium" insofar as housing particular class of inmates.

In terms of my legal relief: My case was handled in the early 90's and done in such a reckless manner that it completely shocks the conscience of legal jurisprudence, the due process clause of the fifth amendment and a defendant's guaranteed constitutional right to effective assistance of counsel under the sixth amendment to the United States Constitution.

In particular, I wasn't in federal custody when the Court appointed attorney Kevin R. Brehm to handle my case. He in turn executed his own decisions without having informed me of actual legal proceedings he was engaged in with the federal government. This was a very critical stage of my case called: plea negotiations.

An Atlanta Federal Judge name Robert L. Vining Jr., subsequently impaneled a jury to try me on my federal offenses. However, he did not make me aware that a guilty plea offer had been rejected by my court appointed attorney Kevin R. Brehm. This judge didn't hold any court appearance involving me with my appointed attorney at any time to confirm that I was the one who knowingly, voluntarily and intelligently rejected a plea offer.


I was never asked: If I understood the charges against me, the maximum sentence involved if convicted at trial, or whether if I was presently under the influence of any drugs, alcohol or prescription medication that would affect my understanding the nature of that critical phase in my case. These things were never done in my case before being tried, convicted, and sentenced to sixty years in federal prison without parole.


Today the Courts are basically saying that what happened way back then or when, its decisions as to my conviction and sentence of 60 years is final and refuses to acknowledge that anything happened. Judge Robert L. Vining, Jr., is still sitting on the bench refusing to release me from this unconstitutional restraint of my freedom.

Institution Mailing Address:
Terry Colley Reg# 45043-019
Atlanta USP @ P.O.Box 150160
Atlanta, Georgia 30315.

No comments:

Post a Comment